OK, I will answer my own question first...

In your controller:

    import os

    def index():
        context=dict(first_name='Bob is',last_name='your uncle')
        template = test_template_path =
os.path.join(current_app,'static','template_test')
        test_content = response.render(template,context)
        destination =
os.path.join(current_app,'static','template_test_target')
        with open(destination, 'w') as f:
            f.write(test_content)
        exit_message = f.closed
        return dict(message=exit_message)

Template contents:
(called template_test in the above example)

{{=first_name}}
{{=last_name}}

Controller output
(Indicates the exit status of your write)

True # hopefully

Output file content:
(the called template_test_target in this example)

Bob is
Your Uncle