Not a bad idea but not sure exactly how it would work. There are already
some good scripts in the Web2py distribution for setting up Web2py on Ubuntu
(my preference) and
Fedora: http://code.google.com/p/web2py/source/browse/#hg%2Fscripts

I also created some Fabric scripts for Nginx and Cherokee (I should probably
do Apache):
https://bitbucket.org/pbreit/web2py-automation/src

That makes it pretty easy although I'm sure there's room to make it even
easier. I'm not very technical and managed to figure everything out in less
than an hour. It's difficult to automate it more because then you have to
start working with Amazon APIs and keys. Perhaps there's an opportunity to
create a AMI that's ready to go. But really, it's not that hard.

I encourage everyone to give it a try especially since you can get a free
Amazon micro instance for 1 year. I use Rackspace which is around $11/month.