Just wanted to give an update:

I moved one of my projects with about 10 modules over to the new import
method, and so far it's working perfectly. I should also mention that the
new method has greatly simplified the way I write modules. I used to have a
z_import_modules.py model that should run all of the local_import() calls,
then instantiate all of the objects in those modules. Now, my modules are
more like regular Python modules, which I import at the top of the
controllers that need them. This is very nice!

I do have a few suggestions though, now that I've got some experience with
using this new method:

Jonathan actually mentioned having a current.application Storage that would
store things like auth and db that are created in models. I would REALLY
like to see this. I still need to have my z_import_modules.py in order to to
set these things manually to current. I understand that it's easy enough to
set these yourself at the end of db.py, but having a standardized Storage
object with these variables would be better in the long run.

My only other thing is: How much effort would it take to get the Storage
class to be imported when you call "from gluon import *"?