Thanks. I had already made cache and the files within writeable by
all. I tried making the directories of web2py writeable to all, to no
benefit, so I rather drastically made everything within my application
writeable by all.

This did sort out the problem. I probably ought to go back now and
narrow down what was actually necessary.

I used
http://bda.ath.cx/blog/2009/04/08/installing-python-26-in-centos-5-or-rhel5/

To upgrade to python2.6 (this corrupted the msql configuration file
but was otherwise successful)

One has to be careful here, because web2py does seem to need at least
python 2.5, and my centos system comes with 2.4.

If one is not careful one gets mixed up versions of python and then
things do not work out.

I then got nginx to work with uwsgi by using

http://library.linode.com/web-servers/nginx/python-uwsgi/fedora-13?format=print

but I changed the make of uwsgi to

make -f makefile.py26

This causes it to use python2.6. This is what causes web2py to be run
with python2.6.

So follow the instructions in the above link to get the 'hello world'
application going. This means you have nginx, uwsgi and python working
together.

The change uwsgi configuration file to use

MODULE=wsgihandler
and PYTHONPATH to point to your web2py directory.

from

MODULE=wsgi_configuration_module

and set PYTHONPATH to point to your web2py directory.

Make sure your permissions are okay for your web2py directory and you
should have web2py powered by nginx.

I have managed to also get the same nginx to serve php with fastcgi.
It is really fast.