I have dug further, and it is definitely a cron issue. I have 3 cron tasks
firing every minute, and they always completed in under 1 second. But every
so often, the process lauched by web2py would seem to hang - it never
executed my code (first line was logging, not executed for that process).
These processes never exit.

lsof shows the normal cacaphony of open files, lots of stuff under
python2.7, a few shared libs & pipes, cron.master, and a deleted file in /
tmp. <http://tmp.cd>

Any ideas on how to track this down?

--
John Duddy