First, if you're in the shell, you need to do db.commit() for your DB
transactions to be committed (see
http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/06#commit-and-rollback). Also, if
you're using the web-based shell via the 'admin' app, sometimes it doesn't
work so well -- you might be better off using the regular Python shell
starting from command line (see
http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/04#Command-Line-Options).

I'm not sure why it wasn't working from 'appadmin' (i.e., the Models
database administration screen) -- what did you see there?

Anthony