Update --

This problem is variable.  After logging into the admin session,
logging out, closing the browser, and then opening it again the
website seems to add sessions for me even as an unauthenticated user.
Even after opening up a different browser it continued to work.  But
when someone else tries it from a different computer, no session id is
generated and no session information is retained.

I have also tried storing session information in the database with no
difference.

-- Joe