Basically you default they do nothing. You can take the fields to mean
what you want. You can set them auth.add_persmission(...) and you can
check them auth.has_permission(...) or with decorator
@auth.requires_permission(...).

Things change if you set

crud.settings.auth = auth

in this case crud will recognize permissions with names =
'read','create','update','delete', and 'select' on the tables that you
have specified. The record_id is optional. If not set the permission
applied to the entire table. If set the permission applied to the
record only.

Hope this helps. There is not much more to it really.