Ok, I think I've narrowed down the problem:

I put the old db.py file back (the one from the welcome app), then I
commented everything. The percentage difference with everything commented
out is XML 293% faster. I started uncommenting lines, one by one and running
the test with each one. I enabled Mail, Crud, and PluginManager without the
number dropping.

The moment I enabled Auth, the percentage dropped to 267%:

auth = Auth(db)

And telling Auth to define_tables dropped the difference between XML and
JSON down to 120%:

auth.define_tables(username=True)

So something in Auth is preferring XML-RPC over JSON-RPC. Is there some code
in Auth that skips over some stuff if the request type is XML or something?