On Sep 15, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Ross Peoples wrote:

> I think we can rule out the json serializer. I just replaced the code in
> tools.py and serializers.py and tried this. I also confirmed that the C json
> library was installed. There wasn't any change. However, I wonder if I should
> send those changes to Massimo as a patch anyways since it seems like we
> should prefer the C libraries when possible.

I think that'd be a good idea. However, please covert it to using the name
'json' instead of 'simplejson', if you haven't already done that. This is a
good time to do it, because it's getting some good testing.

> As for your other question, simply having "auth = Auth(db)" in there without
> defining the tables seems to slow down XML by a few ms, but we are talking
> 5ms at most. The define_tables call is what slows it down the other 20 ms.

That makes sense. There's one table definition in the Auth(db) call.

> However, it may not be Auth at all. I just defined a dummy table just to see
> what would happen, and the XML times went back up to 50 ms, so it looks like
> the DAL is somehow causing the slowdown. And I just run a second test on the
> dummy table with "migrate=False" and the numbers dropped back down to 20ms.
>
> So it looks like we've narrowed down the problem to migrations.

And through all this the JSON timings stayed high?