I am having some troubles getting my form to error when no items are
selected in the environment field.
Could someone please shed some insight?  and I apologize in advance if
this request is redundant.

from <specific module> import ENVIRONMENTS
##ENVIRONMENTS is a tuple

db.define_table('info',
  Field('info_number', 'integer', label='Info Number'),
  Field('description', 'text'),
  Field('environment', widget=SQLFORM.widgets.checkboxes.widget),
  Field('notice'))

db.info.environment.requires = IS_IN_SET(ENVIRONMENTS, multiple=True,
error_message='Please select appropriate environment(s).')

The other fields error (if empty) based on their respective validators
this is what I want for the environment field, but it returns an empty
[]

Also please note that I did receive an error_message before I added
multiple=True.

I have tried:

db.info.environment.requires = [IS_NOT_EMPTY(),
IS_IN_SET(ENVIRONMENTS, multiple=True, error_message='Please select
appropriate environment(s).')]

but no avail