The templates are not directly accessible as html files. They are web2py
view files and must be processed server-side by web2py before sending a
response to the browser. If you want to apply a completely different view to
the current page, you'll probably have to reload the page. Note, if you just
need to alter part of a page, you could do it via an Ajax call (possibly
using web2py
components: http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/13#Components).

Anthony