> A slight twist of my version is to use {"key": "value"} instead of "key:
> value". The thought was to convert the string into dictionary-like datatype
> more easily.

Using {"key": "value"} format, the element of the field that has
list:string type stores it as "{"key": "value"}". The problem is that an
additional escape character proceeds the existing one when the key is
non-ascii encoded as UTF-8. So the value becomes \\xab\\xcd\\xef instead of
\xab\xcd\xef.

I need some help to figure out to avoid the additional escape character
added in front of the existing one so the value is correctly stored.