The idea of using their joke is fun, its like a joke inside a joke...

But I really think if Web2py is a Web Framework the Home Page should
be more fancy not too much but it should represents what Web2py can
do.

IMHO the best way to do it is doing a contest and Massimo decides
which one to use. For the web designers in our community be the
designer of the web2py home page can be a big price it self.

I would like to try one my self. You could put the home page app in a
reposotory so any want could clone it and try.

BTW the quotes from http://web2pyramid.pylonsproject.org/ are
hilarious "...one tool to rule them all!"