I am trying to understand why the socket timeout would be set so low at 1
second as a default.

I believe this change is the solution to a problem I have been chasing off
and on time permitting where the pages won't render properly when using the
rocket server with a browser over the WAN. Local LAN always works. I
probably won't use rocket for deployment but was testing a prototype. Some
browsers worked like Firefox but Safari on Snow Leopard failed while Safari
on Lion worked. On the same LAN they all worked. The failure looked like
the jQuery Javascript never ran with the page load.

I will see later if this change fixes my problem as well.

Thanks
Ron