Well I think it is said in the book that the rocket server is only for development. It is usually not recommended to run anything as root but no big problem.

Kenneth

Thanks for your replies. I eventually mangaged to find out the group
and owner of the process that runs web2py. It is uwsgi:uwsgi. Chowning
as suggested did work.

presumably the rocket server version of web2py does run as root. If
this is unadvisable as Kenneth suggests should something be mentioned
in the book on deploying rocket.