I guess anywhere an Auth form is processed, prior to calling the Auth
method, do something like:

if request.vars.email:
    request.vars.email = request.vars.email.lower()

So when a user submits an Auth form with an email address, it is converted
to lowercase before being passed to the Auth method or being saved in the
db.

Anthony