On Dec 16, 2011, at 1:44 AM, Brian Will wrote:

> I concede that for web2py's current user base, this is a minor point
> of null concern, but I feel it's a notable blemish in an otherwise
> exceptionally clean and well-thought-out API, and a few blemishes like
> this here and there can represent serious learning hurdles.

I'm with Brian on this general idea. The DAL really is fairly difficult to
grasp, I think for at least two fundamental reasons. One is that the Python
overloading is hidden and has to be learned or guessed. The other is that
web2py is likely to attract developers (like me) who have limited experience
with SQL. Consequently, it's highly desirable to reduce or eliminate anything
in the DAL API that further confuses or complicates matters.

(I also don't think it helps too much in this regard to have very different
syntaxes for doing the same thing; it confuses us slow learners. Python is not
Perl.)