I had an email exchange over the last couple of days with a developer at
Jetbrains who works on PyCharm. The bad news is they've chosen not to work
on web2py integration any time soon. The even worse news (from my
perspective) is that they seem to have a very negative impression of the
web2py community, and this was given as one factor in the decision not to
make web2py a priority. Now, I think the last thing we need is a flame war
against PyCharm. It sounds like they've had some legitimately bad
interactions with a few of the people wanting web2py support (I have no
idea who). So I think this is a moment to be on our best behaviour.

The good news, though, is that the developer encouraged the development of
a third-party plugin for web2py support. This isn't something I can take on
alone right now, but is there any interest from others in forming a team to
work on one?