I believe this is the OS's requirement, not Plesk's. Plesk itself has no
python parts and AFAIK uses mod_python to enable python for customer's
sites.

If you are, ie., using CentOS/RHEL 5.x, than stock python version is 2.4
and that's hard to upgrade due to some core systems depending on it, such
as yum. Apache's mod_python is also built for the stock OS version of
python, although I guess one could rip that out and build against something
else. In this case, Plesk would use that instead. But it's not a clean
solution.

Regards