I think it's good for people to advocate for their license
preferences.

I also think the discussion should be based on facts, so I would like
to offer some observations about statements that make me
uncomfortable.

> The freedom in software also comes the freedom of choice, to either give
> back or not, that is why a lot of people prefer the BSD thinking over the
> GPL thinking.

I don't know what is meant by "a lot of people."  But there are some
statistics that seem to indicate a lot more people prefer the GPL.  As
of June 2009, the GPL licenses accounted for ~ 65% usage.  BSD
accounted for 6.3.  Now I realize that's more than 30 months ago, or
two centuries in internet years.  Still, I doubt there has been a big
swing in the intervening time.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.blackducksoftware.com/news/releases/2009-06-30

If there is later data that shows otherwise I would be happy to see
it.

> GPL = Doesn't want anyone making money off their code...

No.  If this were anywhere close to true there would be mobs of angry
kernel developers protesting the activities of companies like Red Hat
and IBM, both companies making tons of money off GPL code.  Got any?

Also, if there is any credible evidence that any author of the GPL has
made a statement like that I would be happy to see it.