I had to write a lot of code to get FPDF to do proper headers, footers, and
page numbers. Then about another 100 lines of code to get it to wrap long
lines of text inside of a table. I'm also not using HTML to PDF conversion.
I am using FPDF's methods to create PDFs. If I recall correctly, I tried to
use paragraphs and even new line characters to force the line to break, but
ended up having to use absolute positioning for the lines. It sounds
terrible, I know, but I have been using this successfully for a little
while. I basically wrote a module that takes a query (just like
SQLFORM.grid) and generates a PDF with headers, footers, a logo, and can
even group data into multiple tables, all while wrapping long text and
repeating column headers on each new page. It was a lot of work, but the
reports look pretty good.

Mariano, what about FPDF are you planning on updating? And are you planning
to break backwards-compatibility?