If you are ok digging through code, in mostly all of my apps I use a
"CustomAuthntication.py" module that is basically a class that mimics
web2py's but it is very thin compared to the stock's, I use it this way not
because 'mine is better' but because I wanted to control my registration
and authentication more closely to my own apps.

If you want, take a look
at
https://bitbucket.org/speedbird/qastack/src/da67a4653854/modules/CustomAuthentication.py

this is qa-stack's  authentication core, the "authenticate()" method is
really the core and I do use a custom user's table, overall it is not too
far from web2py's internal authentication, but just to show how you can
implement your own authentication system, controlling every aspect of the
user registration/login experience without having to 'reinvent the wheel'.

Cheers,

Julio