> I am working on a translation enhancement project on sahana-eden[1].
> sahana-eden uses the translation feature of web2py. Is it possible to have
> a modified T() function so that the developer can leave a comment for the
> translator, for example T("This is a SAMPLE", "keep SAMPLE as it is") where
> the second argument is the comment. Or is there any other mechanism in
> web2py to accomplish this task. Further the language file in
> /applications/<application name>/languages/.py should be in the format
>
> "source string": "target string": "comment"

Right now, the language files are simply treated as Python dictionaries, so
this structure would require a major change. Instead, maybe you can just
write a special helper that takes a string and a comment, adds the comment
to the string, passes the combined string/comment to T(), and then removes
the comment from the value returned by T() upon serialization. So, in your
language file, before translation you'd end up with something like:

"source string [[comment: my comment]]": "source string [[comment: my
comment]]"

When retrieving a translation, your helper would then look for " [[comment:
.*]]$" at the end of the retrieved value and remove it if it is there.

Anthony