Each OS has to load a different extension:

Windows: libspatialite-2.dll
Linux: libspatialite.so
Mac OS X: libspatialite.dylib

This, I think, can be simplified by just having:

    self.execute(r'SELECT load_extension("libspatialite");')

but I need others to test in Linux and Mac environments.

Otherwise we would have to check which OS are we running and load the
corresponding extension.