On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:38:25 -0700 (PDT), sababa.sab...@gmail.com said:

> The
>  function should only add periods that doesn't overlap any of the
> already registered ones.

Let me try to help (I owe this group a lot of help). I've ignored your
code, and I don't know what schema you're using, but here's the pseudo
and untested code:

def should_this_period_be_inserted(start,end):
        # Check that all periods that started before this one
        # also finished before this one started
        q = ((db.period.begindate<start)&(db.period.enddate>start))
        if db(query).count():
                return False
        # Check that no periods started while this one was in progress
        q = ((db.period.begindate>=start)&(db.period.begindate<=end))
        if db(query).count():
                return False
        # If we got this far, the period didn't overlap
        return True

Have I understood what you're trying to do?
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?