If you are going to have access to the database server, then why not just
write the api with web2py and use web2py DAL to connect and execute
commands. Otherwise you will need another RPC server or something on the
database server to do mysql queries.

Like this site I did: 96.126.99.73 has web2py running on 3 different
servers that visitors are dynamically connected to (using stickiness). Each
of them servers connect to 3 different databases on completely different
servers depending on what information they need.