while i would not call anything i have great tests or a wonderful example
of testing, i have used doctests in controllers successfully.  those are
nice as the web2py environment is auto-setup for you.

i'm working on using the unittest module to test my modules - those don't
always need all the web2py stuff setup.

i'm running mainly on GAE and have modified the magic tests links from the
admin interface that run doctests and unittests to launch them from a
controller on my GAE dev environment.  i think i have posted that
controller before, but lemme know if you are interested in my re-posting it.