WhooHoo! Keeping the same SQLFORM in the controller and then just using
form.custom (see
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/7?search=form.custom) for my
non-checkbox elements and then simply building the desired grid with check
boxes myself in the HTML works beautifully. Just have to make sure that the
input fields (check box elements) you create yourself use the same name as
SQLFORM expects and form processing works as usual. (You loose the ability
to preserve which items were selected if there is a form error, but for me
that's minor and you could probably work around that if needed).