Well honestly if it was a dynamic link I wouldn't even use URL as good
style of JS programming is putting the code in a .js if this is the case
then the web2py parser cannot even access the URL to parse it. (At least I
have never been successful with that process.)

If they are getting the params at a later time and in a js file there is no
need in using the URL just use url = '/path/' + param + '/' + param; The
only problem with this is if he changes the path, however if he changes the
path he would be required to update URL() anyways.

I have fell into the trap on trying to rely on the helpers to much myself
in the past. Some places in your code you shouldn't use them. Trying to use
them for everything kind of forces you to change your logic to bend around
web2py instead of having web2py work with your logic. Also whenever you use
URL instead of the direct url='/path' the framework is forced to do more
function calls, in some situations like this one it isn't really worth
having the extra function call and it is actually more typing :D