I guess you could make the ... any legal controller name, and then either
use web2py URL rewrite to catch it and route to a particular function to do
what you want, or in a model, do something like:

if request.controller = [your 2-3 letter code]:
    shortname = request.function
    [code to determine redirect URL based on shortname]
    redirect(URL(...))

Anthony