some follow up. One thing that happened when the problem started is that I
was experimenting with the apache settings and turned off keepalive.

I do not fully understand the implications of apache settings
(mpm_prefork_module vs mpm_worker_module) and their parameters but since
Python get slower the more cores are available for a fixed number of
threads, there is an optimum set of parameters depending on the
architecture.

I will continue some experimentation.

Massimo