I am switching to nginx as soon as I move the server. Anyway for now I
disabled apps that are not used (should not be used) and changed the apache
conf to

Timeout 35
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 15
KeepAliveTimeout 2
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
    StartServers          5
    MaxClients           10
    MinSpareThreads      15
    MaxSpareThreads      15
    ThreadsPerChild      10
    MaxRequestsPerChild  50
</IfModule>

and the memory exhaustion problem seems to be gone away. At least for now.

massimo