> thanks a lot for that. But I think I made a mistake in asking the
> question. What i want to know more than just this is how to set up a mail
> server... or how to set up the mail 'mailer' object... and how should i
> configure it.

Setting up the web2py mailer is covered in the book:
http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/8#Setting-up-email. Assuming you
have any existing email account that lets you send mail by communicating
with the SMTP server, you don't have to set up your own mail server -- just
provide the server details and credentials for that account, as shown in
the book. If you want to set up your own mail server, that is outside the
scope of web2py. Others on the list may have some advice, though you can
probably find lots of helpful resources on the internet as well.

Anthony