There should be no benefit to moving them to multiple model files. It would
have the same performance (or perhaps slower).

The models file is processed on every page load, so it can get expensive if
you have a lot of tables defined in it.
I'm sure Bruno can chime in here, but here is his recipe for model-less
apps...
http://www.web2pyslices.com/slice/show/1479/model-less-apps-using-data-models-and-modules-in-web2py