Wow, I certainly did something silly at some point -- in my source
(gluon/html.py), url_encode is set to false:

I checked out a new version, and the build times match 100%, so it HAS to
be my silliness (Version 1.99.7 (2012-03-04 22:12:08) stable).

Apologies for the wild goose chase -- I seem to remember debugging some
issue I was having with URLs from another app that linked to this one...
anyway, I clearly was careless in that I modified the source and forgot to
change it back.

Thanks for your help.

-Abe