This all looks promising. Meanwhile, here's my model with irrelevant Fields
omitted and below that my query for the Select. Thanks for the help!

A simplified version of my model:

db.define_table('movie',

    Field('title','string'),

 db.define_table('person',

     Field('name', 'string', unique=True),

db.define_table('star',

     Field('movie_id', db.movie),

     Field('person_id', db.person),

movies_and_stars = db((db.movie.id == db.star.movie_id) &
(db.star.person_id == db.person.id))