OK, After doing type(item.now). I discovered that web2py is escaping my
retrieved data from the database and converting everything into strings.
And since prettydate() doesnt work on strings but datetime objects, it
fails.
For this prettydate to work in the views, I would have to
import datetime and do
datetime.datetime.strptime(item.now, [format]) in order to format the
datetime object that has now being converted into a string back to a
datetime object and then allow prettydate() to work its magic. The only
problem I am having now is knowing the correct format to pass to the
strptime() function as all I have used is raising this error: "2012-08-15
01:38:15.019797' does not match format '%Y, %m, %d, %H, %M, %S, %f'"
I need help thanks