To Max,
Like Anthony said, why is a datetime object I retrieved from my database in
a controller automatically converted to a string object? and how come
prettydate() cant convert datetime objects that are strings too? Is  this a
feature of a bug? I also discovered that if i do this in my view
{{=prettydate(request.now)}}, it gives me a "now" result i.e. prettydate
works, but doesnt work on retrieved datetime objects from my DB. I need
help. thanks