You can enter either via db(query).insert(name=value, ...) or by a CSV
file. Both are convenient. I suppose you could argue that CSV is convenient
if your data are dumped from some other db without computing an
intermediate value. If your data are less clean, perhaps, or you need to do
some complex intermediate logic and computation on the fly to come up with
a value to insert into the db, or just for all around flexibility, then
db(query).insert(...) works great. Both are equally useful. I use both all
the time. Mostly, it depends on the source of data and how ready they are
to insert into the db without me having to muck with them.