I tried to convert but use the _and= portion of requires to help not get
duplicate entries in the many to many link tables I use.

An example
    Field('server_id', 'reference servers', requires = IS_IN_DB(db,
'servers.id', '%(hostname)s', _and =
IS_NOT_IN_DB(db(db.site_servers.site_id==request.vars.site_id),
'site_servers.server_id'))),

This results in a key error on site_servers because it isn't created yet.
No problem when the .requires is in a statement after the table definition.

I am not having a performance problem with the models the way they are but
tested to see what this was like and found this and decided to report it.

Maybe there is a better way for me to code this that is compatible with
lazy tables.

Thanks
Ron