problem is that parse_version returns a tuple as new_version and that tuple
is passed to a simple "%s" to show the button in admin (that thing was
fixed in trunk just today).

Honestly I don't know what string returned web2py.com in days where web2py
version was 1.99.7 ...... is it possible that parse_version couldn't parse
the string returned and evaluated new_version to a string instead of a
tuple ?