I want to maintain an audit history of all my objects.

So near the beginning of my model definition I have

db._common_fields.append(auth.signature)

and at the very end I have

auth.enable_record_versioning(db)

The problem I am having is that when I pull up all the records representing
the history of an object, the modified_by and modified_on fields do not
reflect the time and user that performed the change.  In fact, they appear
to be stuck on whoever was logged in when I last restart the web2py server
and the time at which I restarted it.  (Maybe it's the first person to
perform an edit and the time they do it at since last restart.)

Anyway, is there something obvious I am missing here?