On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

> I think it's wrong for JSC to assume pthreads.  Gtk seems to have its
> own threading system.  Windows does too.  It's unclear to me (aside
> from the comment below) why it needs them long term.

Any custom solution that we may come up with will be quite heavyweight
- it is not correct to assume that WTF::Mutex can just call through to
a mutex (or critical section) provided by the platform, for example,
as the semantics differ a lot. We'd basically need to take pthreads
implementations for all platforms and import those into WTF, possibly
changing the coding style. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but not too much :)

Now, what's the benefit of importing pthreads into WTF compared to
using it as an external library?

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov