On Apr 19, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Aaron Boodman wrote:

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Peter Kasting <pkast...@google.com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:

I'm not sure what the path is for fetching favicons today. Does
WebCore just implicitly do it, or does it expose the information to
the host, who later may or may not make the request?

Answering this is complicated by the fact that Chromium mostly uses a
different codepath for all of this stuff than, say, Safari -- e.g. it
bypasses the IconDatabase and pretty much all other classes/files called
"IconXXX" entirely.

Yeah, I looked into this over the weekend, and -- shock! -- it turned
out to be a bigger change than I initially imagined. Since Chromium
has a different backend, that would mean implementing two sets of
changes.

Also, I think it would be wasteful to have WebKit download all linked
icons, even if the hosting browser has no intention of every using
some of them. So I'd want to add code to allow the browser to tell
WebKit which sizes it is interested in.

I still want to do this, but I'm going to have to reduce the priority
a little bit for now. I may come back to it in a month or so.

You'd probably want an API that lets the embedding app request a particular icon size, and picks the best fit from the icon links available, taking into account size=any as well. Possible niceties - return windows-style .ico or mac-style .icns either if explicitly specified, or synthesized from available sizes. Not sure if there is a conventional multisize icon format on other platforms.

Regards,
Maciej