> 18 июня 2020 г., в 9:30 PM, Saam Barati <sbar...@apple.com> написал(а):
>
> Why are we insisting on doing something on the bots that takes ~10x longer to
> run than necessary? I’d rather have that time spent running more tests.

Replying to this point specifically, I wanted to point out that WebKit tests
take 2x longer in debug, not 10x longer. JSC tests take 3.6x longer.

> Overall, how we’re doing things now feels like a bad allocation of bot
> resources. The differences I see between O3 with no-inlining vs O0 is:

Last time this was discussed, we talked about -Og, which is specifically
designed for the purpose I believe. Where do we stand on understanding and
adopting that?

- Alexey

> - Some race conditions will behave differently. Race conditions are already
> non predictable. I don’t think we’re losing anything here.
> - O0 vs O3 is a different compiler. We may encounter bugs in O3 we don’t in
> O0, and vice versa. In general, we probably care more about O3 compiler bugs
> than O0, since we don’t ship O0, but ship a lot of O3.
>
> (And if we’re going to insist on “I want it to run what I build at my desk”:
> I run debug with O3 at my desk, and I can run debug tests in a reasonable
> amount of time now.)
>
> In evaluating what’s the better setup, I think it’s helpful to think about
> this from the other side. Let’s imagine we had Debug+O3 as our current setup.
> And someone proposed to move it to O0 and make our tests take ~10x longer. I
> think that’d be a non-starter.
>
> - Saam
>
>> On Jun 17, 2020, at 9:48 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fra...@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I also object to losing good stack traces for crashes on Debug bots.
>>
>> Also, I don't think Debug bots should build something different from what I
>> build at my desk.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>>> On Jun 17, 2020, at 1:36 PM, Mark Lam <mark....@apple.com
>>> <mailto:mark....@apple.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> We're planning to switch the JSC EWS bot and build.webkit.org
>>> <http://build.webkit.org/> Debug build and test bots to building with the
>>> following set first:
>>> ./Tools/Scripts/set-webkit-configuration --force-opt=O3
>>>
>>> This means the Debug builds will be built with optimization level forced to
>>> O3.
>>>
>>> Why are we doing this?
>>> 1. So that the JSC EWS will start catching ASSERT failures.
>>> 2. JSC stress test Debug bots have been timing out and not running tests at
>>> all.  Hopefully, this change will fix this issue.
>>> 3. Tests will run to completion faster and we’ll catch regressions sooner.
>>>
>>> The downside: crash stack traces will be like Release build stack traces.
>>> But I don’t think we should let this deter us.  It’s not like there’s no
>>> stack information.  And just as we do with debugging Release build test
>>> failures, we can always do a Debug build locally to do our debugging.
>>>
>>> We would like to apply this change to all Debug build and test bots, not
>>> just the JSC ones.  Does anyone strongly object to this change?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark

- Alexey