Hi,

Back in the Bugzilla days, only reviewers were allowed to r+ or r- patches.
Non-reviewers were - of course - encouraged to do informal reviews but they
would do so by leaving comments. They would never r+ / r-.

Since we’ve moved to Github, it seems we have become a lot more lax about this
and I have seen non-reviewers approve and reject PRs, not just leaving comments.
My understanding is that there is no way to prevent this with Github but could
we at least make it a policy that non-reviewers should not approve / reject PRs
and only leave comments instead?

The reason I would like us to make enforce this rule is that I find it
confusing. We have a lot of new comers in the project and I do not always know
if a person is a reviewer or not yet. I imagine it may be even more confusing
for non-Apple people.

I have in some cases not reviewed patches because I had seen the "green check”
and thought the PR already had been approved.
I have also seen cases of PRs rejected, asking the author to do more work, that
I didn’t feel was necessary.
There is no easy way from the GitHub UI to tell if the person who
approved/rejected your PR is actually a reviewer, as far as I know.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Chris Dumez.