It appears that webmake is converting my & entities into &. This is actually incorrect behavior:

Ampersands (&'s) in URLs

Another common error occurs when including a URL which contains an ampersand ("&"):

<!-- This is invalid! --> <a href="foo.cgi?chapter=1&section=2">...</a>

This example generates an error for "unknown entity section" because the "&" is assumed to begin
>an entity. In many cases, browsers will recover safely from the error, but the
example used here
>will cause the link to fail in Netscape 3.x (but not other versions of Netscape)
since it will
>assume that the author intended to write &sect;ion, which is equivalent to §ion.

To avoid problems with both validators and browsers, always use &amp; in place of &:

The above is from http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html

So far I have been unlucky in finding out where in the webmake code this is actually
happening.
Everywhere that I see an &amp; in the code it is actually converting TO it instead of
from it.