On 27 Apr 2006, at 09:14, Pierre Bernard wrote:

IANAL, but I would assume that the poster of a message retains copyright property.

Under international copyright law, this is always true; it may not be under US copyright law, which is often at variance. The Apple clause quoted by Mike wasn't about copyright; it was a list membership rule, which Apple can enforce by banning you from the list, other Apple lists, ADC membership, etc.

Fair use would permit quoting for reply, but not any other use. For a quote to be in breach of copyright, the size of the original work can be taken into consideration.

Thus if the original author grants permission to reproduce outside the mailing list all should be OK.

That's not a safe assumption; it may be a reasonable assumption, but we aren't in the realm of the reasonable.

This discussion has come up on many other lists and forums, and IMHO the above is a fair summary of the usual discussion.

Paul