On Apr 27, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Mike Schrag wrote:

You should really take a look at the new Ajax stuff, it's pretty cool and offers a lot of possibilities. Oh, here's a cool Ajax- based app I've stumbled across:
Sort of a wonder-dev topic, but judging by emails I've gotten, there's a fair amount of interest about Ajax in webobjects-dev too ... I'm curious what other Ajax components people would like to see WO-wrapped? We have the core interactive Scriptaculous features wrapped. Currently none of the effects are wrapped, but then I'm not sure having WO wrappers lends too much over just javascript calls (open for opinions here). If you've run into a situation where WO didn't bring it for your UI and the current components don't provide support, drop me a line. I'd love to remove a Ruby checkmark in the WO-vs-Ruby comparison.

 My $0.02:

The thing I love about Ajax is that other people have written the Javascript. I absolutely hate writing/debugging/testing on 10 different browsers/etc. Javascript.

I think that WO could actually surpass Rails in making Ajax easy to use, because WO has an understanding of "pages as state machines" and of a particular point in a particular page being a particular state that Rails is missing.

I think WO could also excel in rendering pieces of pages like some of the more advanced ajaxy stuff does: www.wetpaint.com

That is, if you look at zimbra, like Anjo pointed out, or wetpaint.com, there's definitely this element of turning the browser window into a Cocoa app that I find really attractive about Ajax. I think WO could actually beat Rails at that game, but it would take some architecture work on the WO side.

 Pierce